history of UG

history of UG
The insignia of the University of Gdańsk - a chain, ring and sceptre - were given to the first rector, prof. Janusz Sokołowski, as a gift by Gdańsk craftsmen. And they have remained unchanged ever since. Particularly impressive are the large blocks of amber decorating the chain and crowning the sceptre. This is a natural reference to the maritime character of our university. Insignia - from Latin " insignium" is a sign…
history of UG
Interview with prof. Janusz Sokołowski published in Dziennik Bałtycki in 1969. The creation of the University of Gdańsk has already been officially announced. Many years of plans and discussions are starting to take shape. We asked the plenipotentiary for the preparation of the university, Rector of the WSP in Gdańsk, prof. dr inż. Janusz Sokołowski. - When will the university be established? - Next March, on the 25th…
history of UG
A temporary exhibition entitled 'The Road to the University. UG and its predecessors 1945-1970' presents selected fragments of the history of the Higher School of Pedagogy in Gdańsk, the Higher School of Maritime Commerce, the Higher School of Economics in Sopot and the first year of activity of the University of Gdańsk. It is a synthetic description…
history of UG
From left: Vice-Rector Zbigniew Jaśkiewicz, Rector prof. dr Stanisław Matysik, Dean of the Maritime Department prof. Józef Kulikowski, October 6, 1960. The Higher School of Economics was the first university in Tricity to receive the insignia of rector authority. In this respect, it overtook (by a few days) the Medical Academy in…
history of UG
Excerpt from a press clipping about the first WSP hall of residence. The article 'A modern university town will be built in Wrzeszcz' is a comprehensive account of the 6-year plan to build a university district bringing together academics from the WSP, Gdańsk University of Technology, the Medical Academy and, as planned, from the…